Henrietta Street in Dublin's North inner city is the most intact collection of early to mid-18th century houses in Ireland. From Georgian townhouse to Tenement dwelling, 14 Henrietta Street tells the story of the house and the lives of the people who lived there and how social change impacted on them over time.
Built as a townhouse for the elite of Dublin, 14 Henrietta Street was turned into tenements in the 1880s, with some 100 people living there by 1911. It remained a tenement house until the last families left around 1979.
14 Henrietta Street is owned and was restored by Dublin City Council, but is operated by the Dublin City Council Culture Company. The conservation work was made possible with the support of the Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht via a Centenaries Capital Grant.
Established in April 2018, Dublin City Council Culture Company is an initiative of Dublin City Council that runs cultural initiatives and facilities in the city. It is involved in the implementation of the Dublin City Cultural Strategy through the Dublin’s Culture Connects initiative and other activities. Collaborating with citizens, communities, cultural organisations, businesses, and Dublin City Council itself, the company’s work is focused on embedding cultural experiences and increasing cultural participation throughout Dublin’s neighbourhoods.